blogwp
Saturday, September 11, 2010
The Running Journey and 10KGs.
when i first saw this picture taken at my birthday chalet late March this year, i was taken aback.
i thought "KNN, i how fat!"


I didnt do much about it, and thought maybe I was having water retention. But somehow I know I was putting on the extra pounds especially after CFA last December. Late night studying at MCD obviously did not help.

I will weigh myself occasionally and see the numbers slowly creep up, cry in horror, but step down from the weighing machine and forget about it. By mid April, I was weighing a whooping 69.6 kg. In about another 0.4kg, I would be 70kg!

I got seriously freaked.

So I started running with a fellow colleague (Peter) - 5km runs during lunch time everyday and a 10km run during weekends, leaving Sunday for rest. Geared with my Polar watch, my heart rate belt, distance foot pod and my trusty Newtons - I had only one goal in mind - Stay fit and trim.

Peter was a patient and honest running buddy, but running with him means that while one is willing to teach, the other must be willing to learn and take criticisms.

The first few days of running, he said I was too heavy to be a runner and that I need to lose quite a bit of weight. He said my running style sucks and I was converting too much energy into the air, instead of into my legs. I need to run forward, not upwards. He said I should try fore foot running.

And i did. God blessed my calves coz I couldnt walk for a few days coz the muscles ached like I had 2 tennis balls on my calves everytime i walked. But fore foot running was alot easier for me.

Peter also introduced me to spin classes and I was appalled at how much my tshirt will be drenched in perspiration. He was an encouraging friend and whenever I felt like stopping or giving up, he would yell at me

"THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT!! THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU WANT!!" 

One month after all the lunch and weekend runs, I participated in the 10km Passion Run and clocked 1hour 26mins. It was the first time i completed a run without stopping for walk breaks but i wasnt happy with my timing.

It was not easy. Running during lunch hours means you lose interaction with your fellow colleagues and miss out on alot of good food. It means that you need to wake up early to make your salad. It means that you go under the hot sun and perspire like a horse and get uneven tan lines on your wrist (Peter - my running buddy welcomed me to the club of distorted wrists).

31st May, it was a rest day for me and Peter - we decided to head out for lunch. I was having my usual smokes after lunch when he asked me a question.

"after running and keeping fit, u still smoke, why are you still running huh?"

I smiled and when i returned to the office, I disposed 12 sticks of Marlboro Ice Blast. I just wanted to see how long I could sustain without cigarettes. I didnt think of quitting, I just wanted to see how long i can last without nicotine. Today, 11 Sept 2010 - I've officially stopped smoking for 3.5 months.

ok i digressed. 

Training went on for 3 months, and i was getting the Runner's High. I was getting fidgety when the weather was bad and I cant get out to run. It was becoming a habit for me to get out in the sun and wack the bloody muscles.

25th July Shape Run - I clocked 1hour 7mins. I officially shaved 19mins off my previous time in a matter of 3 months. Still not happy with it la, I wanna see if I can shave 7 mins off this Sunday during the Singapore Bay Run. I want to do 10km in an hour.

ok, so after all the real life stories on the running and the quit smoking. here's the best part.

as at this morning - I lost 10.7KG =)

Before - 69.6 KG
After - 58.9 KG
3.9KG more to my ideal weight. :)


Running gives you the self esteem that you will never find at the bottom of a beer glass





♥♥♥
00:48
0 comments

profile
Photobucket


A person who supports the equality of women with men; A member of a feminist political movement; One who believes in the social, political, and economoical equality of the sexes; Relating to or in accordance with feminism.
talk


Photobucket




exits
Photobucket


Caron
Jolene
Xiaxue
Celine
Ernest

archives
Photobucket


October 2004
November 2004
December 2004
January 2005
February 2005
March 2005
April 2005
May 2005
June 2005
July 2005
August 2005
September 2005
October 2005
November 2005
December 2005
January 2006
February 2006
March 2006
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
February 2008
March 2008
April 2008
May 2008
June 2008
July 2008
August 2008
September 2008
October 2008
November 2008
December 2008
March 2009
April 2009
May 2009
July 2009
August 2009
November 2009
January 2010
March 2010
June 2010
September 2010
November 2010
April 2011
Mis-counts
Photobucket



Spinning Now
Photobucket



Lucky - Jason Mraz ft Colbie Cailat